Skip to main content

Dad's Fish

My dad caught the biggest rainbow trout of his life, and he was so excited that he threw his fishing rod down and clamored up the riverbank and put the fish in the trunk and said, Come on, let's go.

I said, What about your rod? and he said, I won't be needing that anymore. After catching a fish like this, what's the point?

We drove into town and turned on a side street, then pulled up in front of a sign that read, Taxidermy. My dad told the man inside that he wanted the fish mounted no matter how much it cost, and the man grinned and said, Give me two weeks.

Dad was a wreck for the two long weeks of waiting. As the estimated time drew closer, he didn't eat nor sleep, he just paced the floor, waiting for the telephone to ring, with a voice on the other end saying, Come pick up your fish. Finally, that call came, and when it did, my dad ran out the door and dove in his old car, and liked to have lost it as he tore out of our yard on two wheels.

When he returned home, not a word was said. He held the fish up to show my mother, his head held high, but his face solemn, in reverence of the great fish. My mother just nodded, then went back to ironing, mumbling something about a lack of money, a leaky roof and a child in desperate need of braces.

He searched for a perfect spot on the wall to hang the trout, a place where he could sit and admire it in the best light. Dad held it up himself, but couldn’t get a good perspective unless he could step back and look, so he made me hold the fish mounted to a piece of wood up and he’d say, A little to the left… No… A little bit to the right. All the while, the backs of my arms burning, turning to jelly, while he cocked his head to one side and squinted.

The perfect place ended up being right in his line of sight from his recliner, on a wall where  photos of my brother and me as babies, memorable vacations we took, and my parents wedding pictures once hung.

At night, he would take the fish down from the hanger and gently place the trout in the bed between him and my mother, then crawl in and nestle up beside it and go to sleep. My mother would be forced to hug her edge of the bed, or get poked in the back with the piece of wood.You never pay me any attention, my mother would say,and dad would pull the fish to him and begin to snore.

First thing in the morning, Dad would hang the fish back up and take a seat in the recliner. That became his daily routine. No more work, or bowling, or even ballgames on TV. My mother worked long hours just so that she didn’t have to see my father’s state of trance.

My brother and I would ask him advice, or tell him a joke, or show him our report cards, but he just looked over our shoulders at the trout on the wall. Days turned into weeks, weeks into whole seasons and we accepted things as they were. My mother would make attempts to draw his attention, but, nothing. His mind was focused on the pink and silvery sides of the trout of his dreams.

My brother and I grew up and found our own way and left home. My mother gave up and left to find a better life elsewhere. My dad grew old and wrinkled long before his time, sitting there. The only difference for him was that there was more room for the fish in the bed since my mother’s departure.

I dropped by today for a visit and had to let myself in. There he sits now, gazing up at the trout, his eyes fixed. It was all he ever wanted, so it seems. Our life has passed by in an instant, all he saw of it was from the corner of his eye. From that same eye now runs a tear, not for what was, but for what could have been.


Popular posts from this blog

After Dark

I stayed up way too late last night. Chase called on his way home from work and told me that we were going catfishing. That's usually how things like this begin.

My brand new son- in- law Bryan was going too, although my daughter wasn't crazy about the idea. No worries though, she would stay at our house and await his return. She ended up asleep on my side of the bed until we got back. Apparently, their agreed upon curfew was 11:30, and he did his best to keep it despite Chase's nudging him to stay longer. My son has no concept of time when it comes to fish, whether they are biting or not.

So there we stood in the dark, on a bridge that crosses the Tyger  River. Every creature that flies or creepeth upon the ground was out. The noise from insects and frogs in the surrounding swamp was deafening. Chase was our catfish guide. He'd brought all the rods, bait and any tackle we might need. Chase's bait of choice was chunks of chicken breast marinated in his secret formu…

Her First One

There was a certain air of anticipation that morning as our guide, Captain Charles King, plied the waters beneath us for signs of schooling striped bass. We came to Santee Cooper Country to immerse ourselves in the sportsman's paradise, and explore all the area had to offer. As our boat cut across beautiful Lake Moultrie, the sun was breaking the eastern horizon with a warm, red glow, casting a soft, picturesque light on one of the most beautiful lakes in the South.

The South Carolina Outdoor Press Association (SCOPe) and members of the Georgia Outdoor Writers (GOA) had converged on the Santee Cooper lakes, as they held their annual fall conference at Black's Camp. As part of the group of  writers and photographers that were on the lake that particular morning. My wife, Melissa and I, along with Georgia outdoor writer, Polly Dean, were matched with an experienced guide, a man whose business is to know these waters and the popular game fish that thrive in great numbers there. Ch…


The effects of the shortened length of daylight on my psyche is compounded by the raw, wet, cloudy weather this afternoon. Seasonal Affective Disorder-- add that to the list of issues I deal with on a daily basis. What I wouldn't give for a little sunshine today. I don't know how much longer I can stand it. When I leave home in the morning, its pitch dark, and by the time I arrive home, the light is fading. No wonder so many of us suffer with depression more in the winter months.
I know that I have so many things to be thankful for, but I tend to forget that when I am down. My wife and kids are so good to me, even when I am withdrawn, stuck inside my own head. I lash out at them sometimes for no reason, then have to deal with the shame afterwards. If you're anything like me, you know how that feels. 
My oldest daughter found out she has some major issues with her intestines last week. At first, the fear was cancer, but thank God, it wasn't. Her condition is still serious…